Oral Medicine is the dental specialty that deals with diseases and lesions in and and around the mouth. Such diseases could be primary conditions originates in the oral and peri-oral region, or secondary to systemic conditions.
What Conditions Oral Medicine specialty deals with:
Oral medicine specialists treat tens of local and systemic conditions that might affect the patient’s health, function and appearance while some conditions are life threatening specially if they are discovered at late stages. The following are some of the conditions that are treated by the Oral Medicine specialists:
- Viral infection: Primary and Secondary Herpes Simplex, Herpangina, Hand-Foot snd mouth disease, Human Papilloma virus infection, Etc.
- Fungal infections: Thrush.
- Salivary gland diseases and tumors
- Auto-immune diseases: Lichen Plants, Pemphigus Vulgaris and Mucous Membrane Pemphigoid
- Medications induced jaw necrosis
- Oral cancers and precancerous lesions
Visual samples of oral lesions that are treated by the Oral Medicine specialists
Lichen Plans – different presentations