Given that many people in the United States struggle with Orofacial pain, it is now officially recognized as a pain specialty. Museum Dental Center in Beverly Hills / Los Angeles, CA is a recognized specialist in the area of Orofacial pain. Dr. Mohammad Khalifeh is dedicated to providing the best dental services for dental patients suffering with on-going pain. Pain that impacts their ability to chew, smile, enjoy an accurate bite and be pain free.
Orofacial Pain is now the 12th American Dental Association (ADA) dental specialty. This recognition was approved by the National Commission on Recognition of Dental Specialties and Certifying Board. As of 1/14/2021, there are 362 active Orofacial pain board certified members across the globe; 248 of them practice in the United States.
What is Orofacial Pain?
Orofacial Pain (OFP) is a medical specialty that requires dentistry training. This new specialty deals with local and systemic disorders that cause pain and/or dysfunction in the mouth, face, head, and neck regions. It covers the diagnosis, management, and treatment of painful disorders of the jaw, mouth, face and associated areas they impact.
According to the American Academy of Orofacial Pain (AAOP): “The specialty of OFP is dedicated to the evidenced-based understanding of the underlying pathophysiology, etiology, prevention, and treatment of these disorders and improving access to interdisciplinary patient care. These disorders as they relate to Orofacial pain include but are not limited to:
- Temporomandibular muscle and joint (TMJ) disorders
- Jaw movement disorders
- Neuropathic pain conditions
- neurovascular pain disorders
- Headache and
- Sleep disorders.”
Orofacial pain is a broad term used to describe symptoms of pain and/or dysfunction in the head and neck region.
Pain and Dysfunction in the Orofacial Region
Dr. Khalifeh is not only an Orofacial pain specialist he is also an active diplomate of the American Board of Orofacial Pain . He runs the Orofacial Pain Board preparation course at the USC Orofacial Pain specialty program. Above all. he helped more than 30 specialist dentists earn their diplomate status in Orofacial Pain.
He is involved in several research projects on the subject of Orofacial Pain. He is an expert on using Botox for TMJ and to manage musculoskeletal pain in the head and neck region. In 2016, he published a systematic review and meta-analysis on the subject of Botox for management of myofascial pain in the head, neck and shoulder regions. This was the first and largest study on this subject.
Download our easy to read PDF on Orofacial Pain and TMJ Disorders.
What Conditions an Orofacial Pain Specialist Treat?
Dr. Khalifeh is a specialist in Orofacial Pain and Dental Sleep Medicine in Los Angeles. He is helped patients in Los Angeles, Hollywood, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Miracle Mile, Park La Brea and Larchmont Village. He treats the following Orofacial pain conditions:
- headaches and facial pain including myalgia
- myofascial pain
- migraine and other types of headaches
- trigeminal neuralgia
- neuropathic pain
- temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder and TMJ arthritis
- toothaches of non-dental origin
- obstructive sleep apnea
- neck pain
How Orofacial Pain Specialist will Impact the Health Care System?
Orofacial Pain specialists will have a positive impact on the health care system through:
- Recognize and treat complex orofacial pain conditions that was under treated because of lack of training.
- Increase the number of specialists and make patients access to them easier.
- Bring medical and dental professionals together to help chronic orofacial pain patient get best treatment outcome.
- Help fight the opioid crises using better more effective treatment options.
- Help patients get medical insurance pay for their treatment.
- Reduce the treatment cost by educating the patients to use effective home care instructions.
- Improve the overall well being of orofacial pain patients.
- train other health care providers to recognize and refer orofacial pain patients.
Address: SAG-AFTRA Plaza, 5757 Wilshire Blvd., Suite #5, Los Angeles, CA 90036
Phone: (323) 933-3855